Monday, August 13, 2012

One Drop of Thankfulness

One of my favorite things to do is to daydream. I sit in my reading chair, close my eyes, and day dream about stories, characters, even my to-do lists get invited to the party. I get some of my best story ideas when I can just sit in the quiet and let my thoughts wander.

Yet, one of the dangers of daydreaming constantly is that I tend to wish I was somewhere else than where I am. You know, if I'm at home, I wish I could be out and about having adventures. If I'm out and about all I want to do is go home. It can be kind of frustrating and annoying. I call it the day dream blues.

But rest assured, after battling them for months, I have found a solution. It's called thankfulness. Being thankful in the moment I'm living right now, helps me not be unhappy about not being in the place I want to be.

It's really quite straightforward, but not always very easy to remember. And for a forgetful person like me it's even harder. So I've started to keep a journal about the things that I want to thank God for, and every night I write down three things. I'm trying to get better at thanking Him for the things I see at the moment I see them, but I'm not always very good at it I must admit.

The thing I love about thankfulness, is that the smallest drop of it can make a huge difference. Say you are standing outside, after it had just rained, waiting for the bus. It's cold, it's damp, and it smells like wet grass. Hot chocolate sounds pretty good but you aren't able to have any. Pretty miserable, huh?

The way to defeat it, my friends, is easy. Say you are looking across the street, and you notice a large puddle. Taking a deep breath, you say, "Thank you, God, for puddles that reflect the sky." This get's the ball rolling. Then you look at the trees around you, and you murmur, "Thank you, God, for the dark color bark, soaked in rain." Then you notice how the color contrasts with the leaves and you think,  "Thank you for the saturated green of the wet leaves."

And you keep going and going. Pretty soon, you've forgotten about how miserable you were, though you might still have a chocolate craving. But by this time the bus has pulled up to pick you up.

One drop is all it took to turn a situation from dark to light. From depressing to hopeful. Trust me, it makes a huge difference. And you wanna know the best part? When you starting spotting those little things to be thankful for, you experience joy. Pure and cleansing joy. By being thankful in unpleasant situations, you're digging deep. 

Can you list three things, three little drops of thankfulness, right now?

I'll go first
1) The song of crickets, chirping outside
2) Fluffy pillows 
3) My big bookshelf stacked with books

Your turn. I'd love to see your list too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment