Monday, August 6, 2012

In His Hands

Sundays are my favorite days of the week. Thursdays are OK, and I do admit Friday does have it's own swagger to it, but Sunday really does take the cake. I usually stay up too late the night before, so when I wake up the next morning for church I have the kind of fog in my head that only a good hot shower can chase away. But even with being still sleepy, and being stiff or sore, getting up to go to church reminds me where to put my focus. That despite how I feel, whether I'm great or not, maintaining a strong relationship with Christ is more important than anything.

I need reminders like that. 

This Sunday, while at church, I was singing a song along with the rest of the congregation when I paused over a part of the lyrics. Call it the writer in me, but when I heard a small phrase it jolted me awake even more than my hot shower had. The song said, "You take away the sins of the world."

When I heard that, I couldn't help but smile. God has taken away my sins. He's won in the epic battle between good versus evil. He's got me in His hand. 

Great, inspiring thoughts, right? I thought so too. But then the little voice in the back my head whispered to me, "Are you going to remember that tomorrow? How about Wednesday?"

I never have liked Wednesdays. 

That annoying voice had a point though. It's so easy to feel close to God and know that He is in control when I'm standing in church, singing my heart out for Christ, opening myself to Him. It's not so easy when Wednesday rolls around and oh-my-goodness I made a crucial mistake at work. Or I have a deadline that I have no idea how to meet. Or I forgot to call a friend that I'd told I would. In all the craziness, the messiness, do I still remember God is bigger than it all? 

Sadly, I don't always. I have mentioned what a forgetful person I am, right? But I'm determined to do try harder. Because in remembering that God is bigger than my problems, my worries, my "messes" in life, I find JOY. Realizing this wonderful truth, even when it's hard to remember, is another way to dig deep. 

So, I'm challenging myself this week and dig deep for joy by remembering that God is so much bigger than my problems. I am His and He's holding onto Me. And guess what? He's holding onto you too. 

Are you going to dig deep this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment